To entertain visitors, the Inverness Royal British Legion Pipe Band performs in Inverness High Street every Tuesday from 8pm until 8.30pm (usually from end June until early September). You are likely to see a piper or other musicians busking in the streets of Inverness and sometimes other entertainment around the Eastgate shopping centre.
Music in pubs/bars/hotels:
Most nights there's traditional Scottish Music at Hootananny (Church Street) and the Gellions (opposite the tourist information centre), as well as live music at Johnny Foxes (Bank Street, overlooking the river) and the Market Bar (Church Street).
Also try The Waterfront Pub (Huntly Street) for traditional Scottish music.
Piano music on Friday & Saturday nights in the bar at the Glenmoriston Hotel on the riverside.
Other pubs with frequent music nights include MacCallums Bar (Union Street) and The Room (Queensgate).
For ceilidhs, try Hootananny on a Saturday afternoon and The Phoenix Ale House on Sunday afternoons.
The invernessGiGs web site includes music news, events listings, reviews, etc.
The Ironworks Live Music Venue at 122b Academy Street features concerts in all genres of music. Tel: 07787 535306.
For more venues, see the notice board in the tourist information office or posters around the city centre.
Vue is a cinema multiplex a couple of miles outside the city centre.
Concerts and other spectacles take place at Eden Court Theatre (near the cathedral on the river).
For art events, check out the very quirky artspace called ig:lu (tel: 01463 709659) at 19 Church Street in Inverness city centre.
The Castle Gallery at 43 Castle Street (tel: 01463 729512) has exhibitions of original contemporary fine and applied art.
For LGBT friendly events in Inverness - click here
The Farmers' Market is held on the first Saturday of each month (except January), with stalls of local produce (meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, cheese, homebaking) in the Eastgate pedestrian area of Inverness city centre.
On Sundays there's a car boot sale at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium from March - December.
For additional events listings, see:
- The Inverness City Advertiser - detailed events listings covering music, nightclubs, cinema, theatre, sports, exhibitions, restaurants, etc.
- What's on list for Inverness
- Visit mi inverness for
savings, discounts and deals on restaurants, retail outlets, visitor attractions and local events
- invernessGiGs for live music
- What's on at Strathpeffer Pavilion
- Visit Inverness & Loch Ness - events in the area
Events in 2017:
- 28 - 29 January: Aviemore Sled dog rally organised by the Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain in Glenmore Forest Park
- 21 - 22 January: The Strathpuffer - 24-hour endurance mountain bike event at Strathpeffer
- 18 February: Snowman Rally
(Highland Car Club)
- February: Inverness Fiddlers' Rally at Eden Court
- 25 February: North Hop Aviemore - beers, ciders, gin, craft spirits, whisky, cocktails, street food, sweet treats, live music and much more!. Venue Macdonald Aviemore Resort.
- 25 February - 8 March: The Inverness Music Festival
- 12 March: Inverness Half Marathon and 5K
- 1 April: OutDores - The Loch Ness Garden Party Inverness - music gigs at Dores Inn/beach
- 14 - 15 April: The Great Easter Egg Hunt in Inverness City Centre
- 18 - 22 April: Whisky & Gin Festival, Bogbain Farm, Inverness - food, music and drink!
- 23 April: Etape Loch Ness cycle race
- 28 April - 12 May: Inverness Science Festival
- 5 - 7 May: Cromarty Crime & Thriller Festival
- 13 May: Inverness Classic Vehicle Show
- 19 May: UB40 in concert at the Northern Meeting Park
- 21 May: annual Race For Life
- 27 May: The Beach Boys in concert at Inverness Leisure Centre
- 28 May: The Nairnshire Challenge is a 30-mile sponsored duathlon organised annually to raise money for charity
- 29 May: Crocus Massed Pipe Bands
- 3 June: Truckness at Bogbain Farm
- 7 - 8 June: XPO North Festival
- 10 June: Quest Adventure Series - Loch Ness: running, cycling and kayaking
- 19 June: Armed Forces Day Flag Raising
- 20 June: Status Quo in concert at Inverness Leisure
- 23 - 24 June: Northern Roots Festival - music festival by Bruce MacGregor at Bogbain Farm
- 24 June: European Pipe Band Championships in Forres - the biggest piping event in the Highlands!
- 8 - 9 July: NessCon at Eden Court. This brand new comic convention for Scotland will include movies, gaming, comics, anime, TV, gadgets, etc.
- July tbc: Caledonian Ceilidh Trail at various venues in and around Inverness
- 14 July: Inverness City Centre eve of Games entertainment
- 15 July: Inverness Highland Games at Bught Park
- 16 July: Bryan Adams concert at Bught Park, Inverness
- Sunday 16 July: Inverness Gala featuring the Highlands Strongest Man and Strongest Women's competition at Northern Meeting Park
- Sunday 16 July: Inverness Shinty Sixes at Bught Park
- 28 - 29 July: Loch Ness Film Festival
- 29 July: Nairn Show with livestock exhibitions, craft fair, food stalls and amusements is held at Kinnudie Farm, Auldearn.
- 3 August: Black Isle Show at Mannsfield Showground, Muir of Ord (tel: 01463 870870). This is the largest agricultural show in the North of Scotland.
It attracts over 2,000 cattle, horse and sheep entries, more than 300 trade stands and over 25,000 visitors to the show each year. There is plenty to see and do, craft fair, food fair, 'On the Farm' exhibition for the kids, agricultural stands, vintage rally and sheep shearing.
- 3 - 5 August: Belladrum - Tartan Heart Festival on the Belladrum Estate, by Beauly. Family-orientated outdoor festival of rock, country, blues and world music.
- 4 - 5 August: Highland Field Sports Fair at Moy Hall (between Aviemore and Inverness). Tel: 01463 232618.
- 13 August: Strathpeffer Highland Gathering
- 19 August: Groove Loch Ness
- 19 August: Nairn Highland Games
- 19 August: Nairn Half Marathon
- 26 August: Glenurquhart Highland Games at Drumnadrochit, Loch Ness
- 29 August - 2 September: The Scottish Salmon Festival
- 31 August - 1 September: Northern Meeting Piping Competition at Eden Court
- 1 - 9 September: Blas Traditional Music Festival (various venues around the Highlands)
- early September: Doors Open Days in Inverness
- 8 - 10 September: Highland Military Tattoo at Fort George
- 10 September: Kirking of the Council - Town House & Old High church
- 12 - 17 September: Nairn Book & Arts Festival
- 13 - 14 September: Vintage Car Event
- 16 September: Camanachd Cup Final (Shinty)
- 24 September: Loch Ness Marathon plus 5K and 10K River Ness fun runs.
- tbc October: Agricultural Working Vintage Rally & Display at Daviot Estate near Inverness
- 30 September - 15 October: Highland Archaeology Festival - events throughout the region.
- 5 - 8 October: NessBookFest - Inverness book festival
- 7 October: World Porridge Making Championship at Carrbridge
- 12 - 14 October: Inverness Street Festival
- 13 - 15 October: Loch Ness Knit Fest
- 28 - 29 October: Halloween at Ness Islands
- 4 November: Fireworks Display and Bonfire at Bught Park
- 8 - 12 November: Inverness Film Festival
- 12 November: Remembrance Sunday
- 19 November: Inverness Christmas Lights switch on, and carol service
- 1 - 2 December: Elf on the Shelf 2017 at the Victorian Market (children's festive event)
- early December: Cromarty Film Festival
- 15 - 17 December: Winter Wonderland at Whin Park
- 31 December: free Hogmanay concert - Red Hot Highland Fling
© The Internet Guide to Scotland
© Ruth Black | Fotolia.com
© Darrensharvey | Dreamstime.com
© Elnur | Fotolia.com
© The Internet Guide to Scotland
© The Internet Guide to Scotland